Evan Jaffe joined Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney in 2019. Prior to joining HNRK, he was an Assistant Corporation Counsel for the Special Federal Litigation Division of the New York City Law Department. As an Assistant Corporation Counsel, Evan served as lead counsel on over 45 federal cases pertaining to the defense of the City of New York and its Police and Correction Officers in Civil Rights litigation. In this role, he handled all aspects of litigation, from motion practice through discovery and trial. Recently, Evan defended two Police Officers in a three-day civil trial in E.D.N.Y.
Evan received his J.D. from St. John’s University School of Law, where he served as Externals Director of the Frank S. Polestino Trial Advocacy Institute, Senior Staff Member of the Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development, and Staff Member of the Commercial Division Online Law Report. While in law school, Evan interned with the Criminal and Civil Divisions of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, the Queens County District Attorney’s Office, and the Hon. Eileen Bransten of the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court.
“Now is the Time: Class-Based Affirmative Action in the 21st Century,” 30 Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development 241 (2018).
- Obtained pre-discovery summary judgment in favor of a global agrichemical company for coverage under U.S. insurance policies, and defeated insurer’s summary judgment motion on the issue of what constitutes a claim under Delaware law.
- Obtained multiple favorable settlements on behalf of a public agency in federal actions brought under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Litigated a two-week Swiss arbitration concerning more than $700 million of insurance coverage on behalf of a global agrichemical company.
- Defended two NYPD officers in a multi-day federal trial, defeating Plaintiff’s claims for excessive force and failure to intervene during an arrest.
- Obtained numerous defense victories, both on motion to dismiss and summary judgment, in federal civil rights actions brought against the NYPD, New York City Department of Correction, and their respective employees.
- Obtained multiple favorable settlements in federal civil rights actions on behalf of the NYPD, New York City Department of Correction, and their respective employees.
- Bar of the State of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Wake Forest University (B.A., with honors, 2008)
St. John's University School of Law (J.D., 2016)
- Externals Director, Frank S. Polestino Trial Advocacy Institute
- Senior Staff Member, Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development.
- Staff Member, Commercial Division Online Law Report