Randi B. May represents employers and executives in all aspects of the employment relationship. She focuses on counseling, advice, and litigation avoidance, but will litigate when appropriate and desired. Randi’s counseling experience on behalf of a broad range of employers includes advice concerning sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation, policies, practices and trainings, workplace investigations, hiring and separation, employee discipline, employee misconduct, restrictive covenants, compensation, wage and hour issues, leaves of absence, and all other federal and New York state laws governing employment. She regularly drafts, updates, and negotiates agreements and policies.
Her counseling experience on behalf of executives includes drafting, negotiating, and advising clients concerning executive employment agreements, deferred compensation and equity grants, separation agreements, shareholder agreements and other basic business arrangements, and all forms of restrictive covenants, including forming a competitive business or leaving to join a competitor.
Randi has litigated before federal and state courts, administrative agencies, and arbitration panels, including conducting trials and hearings. Her experience includes the defense and prosecution of discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims, overtime and wage-and-hour claims, breach of contract, compensation disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair competition, restrictive covenant disputes, and other claims relating to the termination of employment.
Randi has also published articles on New York’s recent sexual harassment law, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the use of BlackBerry mobile devices in the workplace, and has been quoted in the New York Law Journal and Portfolio Media. She recently presented a CLE on the FLSA and on New York’s sexual harassment laws.
Randi has been named an Employment Law "Trailblazer" by the National Law Journal, as well as a "Labor & Employment Star - Northeast" by Benchmark Litigation. She has also penned several publications for Law 360 and the New York Law Journal. Her latest article in the New York Law Journal covers employer considerations on reopening business in the time of COVID-19.
Profiles in Diversity Journal's 2019 Women Worth Watching list
Named an Employment Law Trailblazer by the National Law Journal, 2019
Named a "Labor & Employment Star - Northeast" by Benchmark Litigation, 2019
National Association of Professional Women’s Professional Women of the Year (2013)
- Association of Workplace Investigators Member
Conducted workplace investigations into allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination for a major public benefit corporation and private employers.
Counseled public entities and private employers regarding litigation avoidance while terminating the employment of executives who are members of protected classes.
Provides ongoing employment law counseling to avoid litigation and assists clients with updating and drafting policies.
Drafts and negotiates a wide variety of agreements on behalf of a large, multistate performing rights organization, public entities, asset management and investment companies, and law firms.
News & Insights
- Randi May and Dustin Grant Author Byline for Law360 on Employer-Provided COBRA Under the American Rescue Plan05.10.2021Alert
- Randi May Quoted in Law360 and Bloomberg Law on Compensation Issues Surrounding the COVID-19 Vaccine02.05.2021Alert
- Randi May and Amory McAndrew Publish Byline in the New York Law Journal on Sexual Harassment Investigations in New York11.04.2019Publication
- SRHM, 04.26.2019Media Mention
- 01.04.2019Media Mention
- Randi May and Amory McAndrew Authored Article for Law360 on What Recent New York Wage Laws Mean for EmployersLaw360, 11.09.2018Publication
- Politico, 11.07.2018Media Mention
- Randi May and Amory McAndrew to lead Sexual Harassment Laws Westlaw CLE presentation on October 8th.10.04.2018Alert
- Randi May is Quoted in Law360 on the Supreme Court’s Oral Arguments in Mount Lemmon Fire District v. John Guido.10.01.2018Media Mention
- New York Law Journal, 08.16.2018Publication
- Chain Storage, 09.29.2016Publication
- COVID-19 Blog, 04.30.2020
- COVID-19 Blog, 04.20.2020
Publications and Presentations
Publications and Presentations
- "Confidentiality in Workplace Investigations" presented at the 10th Annual Association of Workplace Investigators Conference, September 2019.
“Sexual Harassment Investigations in New York,” the New York Law Journal, co-authored with Amory McAndrew, November 2019
“NY Employers Must Prep for New Wage Laws Now,” Published in Law360, co-authored with Amory McAndrew, November 8, 2018
“New York’s Sexual Harassment Laws” Westlaw CLE presentation lead, with Amory McAndrew, October 8, 2018
“Five Things Employers Must Know About NY’s New Anti-Sexual Harassment Laws” independent publication co-authored with Kathleen Lowden, reprinted in the New York Law Journal, August 16, 2018
State University of New York at Albany (B.A. 1993)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- summa cum laude
Brooklyn Law School (J.D. 1998)
- cum laude
- Brooklyn Journal of International Law