Damian R. Cavaleri represents clients in all capacities, with expertise in business and employment litigation. He handles all aspects of litigation and arbitration, including discovery, motion practice, trial and appeal, and has litigated in federal and state courts in New York as well arbitration forums such as AAA and FINRA. Damian also advises both employers and employees on employment agreements, employment separation agreements, internal employment issues, and non-competition restrictions and covenants.
Damian received his J.D. with a concentration in Public Law from Cornell Law School, and his B.A. with honors from the University of California, Berkeley, where he was a Regents’ and Chancellor’s scholar. Previously, Damian was an associate at Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP in New York City.
Named a Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2022-2024
Named to Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under Hot List, 2019-2022
Named an Employment Law Trailblazer by The National Law Journal, 2020
Shortlisted for Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Americas Rising Star Award for "Best in Litigation: Trial Lawyer" (2018-2019)
Named a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2019
New York Metro Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2015-2018, 2020) and “Super Lawyer” (2021-2023)
Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star, 2023-2024
Named a Litigation Trailblazer by The National Law Journal, 2023
Kaufman Music Center, Board of Trustees
Merkin Concert Hall, Kaufman Music Center, Advisory Board
Federal Bar Council, Member of Second Circuit Committee
New York State Bar Association, Social Media Committee
Won a multimillion-dollar jury verdict as lead trial counsel in representation of a foreign credit card issuer and acquirer against a major credit card scheme in the Southern District of New York.
Secured the first seizure order under the Defend Trade Secrets Act, representing a financial services company in a dispute with a former employee.
Successfully prevented a former employee from working for a competitor in emergency arbitration to enforce restrictive covenant on behalf of a financial services company.
Secured dismissal of several claims before submission to the jury in representation of leading New York-area hospital in employment discrimination and hostile work environment claims in New York State Supreme Court.
Won pre-discovery dismissal of ADA retaliation claims on behalf of New York-area restaurant.
Represents global health services company regarding employment discrimination and retaliation claims in federal and state courts in New York.
Represents public agencies in employment disputes claiming discrimination and Family Medical Leave Act retaliation and interference in federal and state courts in New York.
News & Insights
- Benchmark Litigation Names HNRK a Top Boutique Nationally for Fourth Consecutive Year: Six Firm Partners Also Recognized10.03.2022Alert
- Partners Damian Cavaleri and Helene Hechtkopf Named to 2022 Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List07.27.2022Alert
- Damian Cavaleri Provides Insights on Supreme Court Ruling in Religious School Employment Discrimination Case07.14.2020Alert
- Damian Cavaleri, John Curley, and Helene Hechtkopf Named to Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Rising Stars Shortlist08.07.2019News
- Damian Cavaleri and John Curley Named to Euromoney Legal Media Group's Inaugural Rising Stars Shortlist08.13.2018News
- Damian Cavaleri Interviewed In Corporate Counsel on the "Petition to Look at Former CBS Lawyer Underscores Ethical Risks of Social Media"Corporate Counsel, 10.16.2017Media Mention
- New York Law Journal, 08.23.2017Media Mention
- Bar of the State of New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Construction Industry
- Employment Advice, Counsel & Investigations
- Employment Counseling & Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Insurance Recovery Litigation & Counseling
- Labor Law
- Non-Compete, Trade Secret & Restrictive Covenant Litigation
- White Collar Defense & Government Investigations
University of California, Berkeley (B.A. 2003)
- Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholar
Cornell Law School (J.D. 2006)
- Environmental Law Society
- Cornell International Law Journal