John P. Curley focuses on securities litigation and complex business disputes. He regularly represents clients in securities-related civil litigation. Recent work includes defending clients against civil RICO claims in connection with international money laundering allegations and defending employees of publicly-traded companies in securities fraud cases. His work in this area also includes complex contractual disputes and trade secrets litigation.
John also represents clients in securities-related regulatory investigations and proceedings, including investigations by FINRA, the CFTC, and the SEC. In a recent FINRA enforcement proceeding, he successfully defended an equities trader against unfounded insider trading allegations. A FINRA panel dismissed the proceeding in its entirety following a three-day disciplinary hearing.
Before joining Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney, John served as a law clerk to the Honorable Joanna Seybert of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Before that, he was a litigation associate at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP. Prior to law school, he served on the staff of a U.S. congresswoman.
- Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List (2021)
- Super Lawyers New York Metro Criminal Defense: White Collar Rising Star (2017-2019); Super Lawyer (2020-2023)
- Shortlisted for Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Americas Rising Star Award for “Best in White Collar Crime” (2018-2019)
- Benchmark Litigation Future Star (2023-2024)
- The National Law Journal Litigation Trailblazer, 2022
Federal Bar Council Inn of Court
St. John’s Law School Alumni Association - Board of Directors
Ongoing defense of a former officer and director of publicly-traded company in securities fraud litigation.
Successful resolution of investigations by securities regulators, including FINRA, the SEC, the CFTC, and the New York State Attorney General.
Defended the former CFO of a publicly-traded company in securities fraud litigation.
Regularly advises clients with respect to trade secrets and restrictive covenants concerning competition and confidentiality.
News & Insights
- Benchmark Litigation Names HNRK a Top Boutique Nationally for Fourth Consecutive Year: Six Firm Partners Also Recognized10.03.2022Alert
- HNRK and Hickey & Evans Earn Complete Victory Against Sinclair in $80 Million Trial Over Major Refinery Fire08.27.2019Alert
- 08.21.2019Media Mention
- Damian Cavaleri, John Curley, and Helene Hechtkopf Named to Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Rising Stars Shortlist08.07.2019News
- ThinkAdvisor, 08.31.2018Publication
- Damian Cavaleri and John Curley Named to Euromoney Legal Media Group's Inaugural Rising Stars Shortlist08.13.2018News
- HNRK Obtains Summary Judgment on Discrimination and Retaliation Claims in a Significant Win for Employers07.17.2018News
- ThinkAdvisor, 03.23.2018Publication
- Bar of the State of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Law clerk to the Honorable Joanna Seybert, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York
College of the Holy Cross (B.A. 2003)
St. John’s University School of Law (J.D. 2008)
- summa cum laude
- St. John’s Law Review