Dorothea W. Regal is one of Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney’s founding partners. She has litigated complex business matters in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels, winning numerous summary judgments and appeals for domestic and international clients and, in her insurance practice, has successfully helped policyholders recover hundreds of millions of dollars under a variety of insurance policies. She has tried and won federal jury trials. Her practice encompasses litigation and counseling on insurance coverage, complex commercial matters, international business disputes, arbitration, and many types of employment issues. In addition to her litigation and counseling practices, Dorothea is a frequent presenter and writer on insurance law matters
She successfully has handled many letter of credit cases and counseled clients in this highly specialized area, representing banks, including bank-to-bank issues, or their customers or beneficiaries. She has authored several publications on letters of credit and has lectured on that topic for the Practicing Law Institute and the New York County Lawyers’ Association.
She was a corporate and litigation associate at White & Case from 1978 through 1995.
- Named Euromoney’s Insurance Lawyer of the Year, 2021
- Named a Distinguished Leader by the New York Law Journal, 2021
- Received Crain’s New York Business’s Notable Women Business Owners award, 2021
- Named an Elite Boutique Trailblazer by The National Law Journal, 2018
- Named a Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2019-2022
- New York Metro Super Lawyers - Insurance Coverage, Employment Litigation and Business Litigation (2014-2021)
ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee (Business Interruption Subcommittee co-chair)
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
ABA Women in Insurance Network
Women’s Leadership Circle, Brooklyn Law School
Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Litigation and Committee on the Judiciary (former member)
New York State Bar Association, Committee on State Constitution (former Chairperson)
Brooklyn Law School (former Trustee, 1980-1982)
Successfully represented and counseled commercial and industrial policyholders in connection with insurance coverage for environmental and asbestos liability claims, products liability coverage, directors and officers (D&O) coverage, errors and omissions (E&O) coverage, employment practices liability (EPLI) coverage, property damage, and business interruption coverage.
Served as lead counsel for a major manufacturer of agricultural products in nearly $1 billion Swiss insurance coverage arbitration concerning coverage for class action liability claims concerning the policyholder’s seeds marketing.
Served as lead litigation counsel for a major manufacturer of agricultural products in insurance coverage $170 million litigation concerning coverage for class action product liability claims concerning the policyholder’s herbicides.
Represented a major nearby property owner in connection with its insurance claims arising out of the September 11, 2001, destruction of the World Trade Center in New York City.
Participated in major environmental insurance coverage litigation against liability insurers in the United States and abroad.
Successfully represented employers in litigation alleging discrimination, harassment, or retaliation in state and federal courts and administrative agencies and counseled individual clients on employment-related matters such as separations and new employment contracts.
Won many summary judgments in federal court for employers on employment claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Successfully handled many letter of credit cases and counseled clients in this highly specialized area, representing banks, including bank-to-bank issues, or their customers or beneficiaries.
News & Insights
- Dorothea Honored with Distinguished Leader Award; John Receives Lifetime Achievement Award, 08.11.2021Alert
- Dorothea Regal and Helene Hechtkopf Named to Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Women in Business Law Americas Awards Shortlist05.03.2021Alert
- National Law Journal, 11.01.2018News
- ABA Section of Litigation Insruance Coverage Litigation Committee, 03.01.2017Publication
- HNRK Strengthens Services of Insurance Coverage Litigation & Counseling Practice; Firm Welcomes Partner Andrew N. Bourne05.05.2015News