Joshua L. Blosveren has represented domestic and international clients in a diverse range of complex business litigation matters, including insurance recovery for policyholders, business torts, FINRA arbitration, securities law, civil RICO, intellectual property, employment law, bankruptcy, environmental law, and the counseling of foreign and transnational clients on various regulatory and jurisdictional issues. Josh's insurance recovery practice encompasses advising and representing clients in connection with a wide array of policies and coverages, including general liability, property, directors & officers, errors & omissions, media, business interruption, representation & warranty, cyber, fidelity & crime, food & beverage, and cargo. He has successfully litigated and tried cases and argued appeals in numerous state and federal courts and arbitral forums.
In 2013, Josh was appointed by the Chief Judge of the State of New York to the Commercial Division Advisory Council, a permanent group that advises the Chief Judge on an ongoing basis regarding all matters involving the Commercial Division of the State of New York and works to implement changes aimed at improving the courts of the Commercial Division. From 2016 to 2018, Josh served as the editor-in-chief of the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal; from 2012 to 2016, he served as its co-executive editor. He is also a co-chair of the Environmental Coverage Subcommittee of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the ABA’s Section of Litigation, a vice chair of the Business Litigation, Litigation & Trial Practice, and Insurance Coverage Litigation Committees of the ABA’s Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS), and a member of several TIPS Special Standing Committees.
Prior to joining Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney, Josh was an associate in the litigation departments of Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP and Salans LLP (now Dentons).
Named an Elite Boutique Trailblazer by The National Law Journal (2019)
Benchmark Litigation Litigation Star (2021-2022)
Benchmark Litigation Future Star (2019-2020)
New York Super Lawyers Super Lawyer in Insurance (2018-2021)
New York Super Lawyers Rising Star in Insurance (2016)
- Commercial Division Advisory Council
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, ICLC Environmental Coverage Subcommittee, Co-Chair
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Business Litigation Committee, Vice Chair
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Litigation & Trial Practice Committee, Vice Chair
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Vice Chair
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, CLE Special Standing Committee
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Content Management Special Standing Committee
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Scope & Correlation Special Standing Committee
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Bottom Line New York, Associate Board
Represents a manufacturer of agrochemical products in arbitration concerning insurance coverage in excess of $700 million brought in connection with settlements that resolved thousands of claims brought by farmers and grain distributors arising from the client’s sale of a product rejected by a foreign country.
Represents a manufacturer of agrochemical products in litigation concerning insurance coverage for defense costs and potential liabilities arising from numerous lawsuits alleging that client's product causes Parkinson's Disease.
Represents a media company in an insurance coverage litigation concerning a high-profile invasion of privacy lawsuit brought by a retired professional wrestler alleging harm from the release of a sex tape.
Represents company in litigation implicating nearly $20 million in insurance coverage for hundreds of asbestos premises liability claims.
Represents a communications company in connection with its insurance coverage claim for business interruption losses arising from a flood implicating thousands of customers and tens of millions of dollars.
Represents the directors of a clean energy and automotive company in connection with their insurance coverage claims relating to a class action challenging the compensation of the company's CEO.
Represents internet services provider in its claim for insurance coverage arising from alleged copyright violations implicating hundreds of millions of dollars.
Represents an apparel firm in connection with its claim for insurance coverage arising from the conversion of the client’s merchandise.
Successfully represented a manufacturer of agrochemical products in insurance coverage litigation concerning in excess of $150 million brought against scores of insurers in connection with nationwide class action products liability claims alleging that client’s herbicide product contaminated water sources for over 50 years.
Successfully represented the independent directors of a clean energy and automotive company in connection with their insurance coverage claims relating to a class action arising out of the company's acquisition of a current subsidiary.
Successfully represented an agrochemical company in arbitration involving attempt by sole competitor in $300 million product market to drive client out of the market on the claimed basis of alleged material breach of a license agreement; obtained ruling, following a multiweek arbitral hearing, that barred competitor from challenging product registration and commercialization.
Successfully represented a communications company in connection with a claim for insurance coverage for losses associated with executive's embezzlement of company funds.
Successfully represented an investment partnership in connection with its claim for losses suffered in connection with its investment in a special purpose acquisition company.
Successfully represented a software development company in a $25 million intellectual property dispute with the counterparty to a series of licensing agreements.
Successfully represented an upscale national eatery in connection with a claim for insurance coverage for business interruption loss arising from an alleged salmonella outbreak.
Successfully represented a commercial property owner and a housing cooperative in insurance coverage dispute relating to damage to clients’ property caused by a university’s construction at a neighboring property.
Successfully represented former company officers in connection with a securities fraud action arising from investments in a U.S. company with China-based manufacturing operation.
Successfully represented former company officer in connection with claims brought by a Canadian company accusing the client of conspiring with other individuals and entities to obtain a controlling interest in a Russian oil company.
Successfully represented a New York City casino in a claim for coverage for business interruption losses resulting from Superstorm Sandy.
Successfully represented a distributor of flavor and fragrance products in insurance coverage litigation concluding in the client obtaining reimbursement of past payments and reallocation of pending and future cost-sharing arrangements relating to numerous personal injury claims against the client.
News & Insights
- Joshua Blosveren, Andrew Bourne and Steven Silverberg Obtain Favorable Ruling for Cox Enterprises and Cox Radio in Insurance Coverage Litigation against Hiscox Insurance07.29.2020Alert
- The Fate of Pro Rata Allocation In Long-Tail Claims Governed By New York Law in the Wake of Viking Pump: Hold A Viking Funeral or Pump the Brakes?Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, 08.12.2018Publication
- Bloomberg Law Insights, 02.12.2018Publication
- Josh Blosveren Moderates Panel Presentation at the ABA's Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Annual Conference04.27.2017News
- Josh Blosveren Quoted in Law360 and New York Commercial Litigation Insider Regarding Proposed Commercial Division Rules04.10.2015Media Mention
- Bar of the State of New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Cornell University (B.S. 1999)
New York University School of Law (J.D. 2002)
- Moot Court Board, Competitions Division